Thursday, December 22, 2005

What is Sin?

Sin is lawlessness
"Everyone who practices sin also practices lawlessness; and sin is lawlessness." I John 3:4
Sin is not doing what God tells you to
"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin." James 4:17

Sin is what is done outside of faith.
"He who doubts is condemned if he does what he is doubtful of, because that action is not of faith. Whatever is not of faith is sin." Romans 14:23

Sin is rebellion.
"The children rebelled against me; they did not walk in My statutes, nor were they careful to observe my ordinances." Ezekiel 20:21

Sin is denying Jesus’ lordship—in word or deed.
"Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I tell you?" Luke 6:46

Sin is acting like Satan.
"The one who practices sin is of the devil; for the devil has sinned from the beginning." I John 3:8

Sin is opposed to love and righteousness.
"If you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scriptures, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself,’ you are doing well. But if you break that law, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever keeps the whole law and stumbles at one point, he has become guilty of all." James 2:8-10

Sin is separation from God.
"The one who says, ‘I have come to know him,’ but does not keep his commandments is a liar and the truth is not in him." I John 2:4

Sin keeps us from God.

No comments: