Thursday, December 25, 2008

Isaac, Jacob and Esau-- Genesis 25-28

Therefore, laying aside falsehood, speak truth each one of you with his neighbor, for we are members of one another. Ephesians 4:25

See to it that no one comes short of the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springing up causes trouble, and by it many be defiled; that there be no immoral or godless person like Esau, who sold his own birthright for a single meal. Hebrews 12:15-16

Yahweh promised Isaac the same promise he gave to Abraham—that he would have many descendants and would be a blessing to many nations. Abraham had many children, but the promise was only given to Isaac. When Isaac was forty, he married a woman named Rebecca who was from Abraham’s old country. In time, Abraham and Sarah died and Isaac mourned them and buried them properly. Isaac and Rebecca were married for many years, but still did not have children. Isaac prayed for his wife to Yahweh, and then she became pregnant. But the pregnancy was very difficult, and Rebecca was in agony. She cried out to Yahweh, “How can I live this way?” Yahweh replied to her, “The agony you have is because there are two children inside you and these two children are two nations. They are both powerful, but one is stronger than the other—the older will serve the younger.”

Over time, Rebecca was ready to give birth. The first child came out and he was red in color and was hairy, and so he was named Esau, which means “red”. The second came out right after the first, but his hand was holding onto the heel of the first and so he was called Jacob which means “grasper.” Esau, when he was grown, was a great hunter of wild beasts. Jacob, when he was grown was a quiet man, tending the flocks and staying by the tents. Isaac loved the wildness of Esau and his skill at hunting, and he felt that the promise of God should fall upon Esau, his oldest. Rebecca, though, remembered the word of God to her and paid close attention to Jacob, desiring to see him receive the blessing of God.

At one point, Esau went out to hunt, but had no luck. He returned home, without having eaten all day. Jacob was sitting at home, having made a pot of red lentil soup. Esau saw this and said, “Please, I am starving to death, give me some of your soup!” Jacob got a scheme in his mind and said, “Will you sell me your birth position for that soup? Let me be the firstborn, and I will give you some.” Esau replied, “What good is it that I am the firstborn if I die? Just give me something to eat!” So Esau sold part of his inheritance.

Over time, Isaac became blind due to age and felt that he was ready to die. So he called Esau to him and said, “Son, I am preparing to die. Go out, capture a wild animal and fix me my favorite meal. Then I will place upon you God’s blessing.” Esau immediately went out to obey his father. Rebecca heard Isaac and called Jacob to her. “Jacob, your father is about ready to give Esau the blessing. We must hurry!” Jacob said, “Why? If Esau is about to receive God’s blessing, there is nothing I can do about it.” Rebecca said, “Stop chattering and listen to me! I can fix your father’s favorite meal and you can serve it to him and so receive the blessing.” Jacob doubted her and said, “He will know who I am, of course! Esau has so much hair and I have little. How could I possibly fool him? And when he figures it out, he will not bless me, but curse me. ” Rebecca said, “We will put animal skins on your arms—don’t worry about it! It will all work out, I know. Now, go get me two goats.”

So Jacob slaughtered the goats and Rebecca made the food. Then they placed animal skins and Esau’s clothes on Jacob and he went in to his father. Jacob said, “My father, here I am.” Isaac couldn’t see, but he could hear the slight difference in his son’s voices, “Who are you, my son?” Jacob said, “I am Esau, your firstborn. Take your meal and bless me.” Isaac was confused and said, “Come close to me.” Isaac felt his arms and said, “Your voice sounds like Jacob’s, but your arms feel like Esau. Are you really Esau?” Jacob replied, “Yes, I am.”

Isaac ate the food and said, “Come and kiss me, my son.” Jacob kissed his father and Isaac smelled Esau’s clothes. Then Isaac said, “My son smells like the outer land which the Lord has blessed. May God bless you and grant you all the wealth of the land. May your brothers bow down to you and honor you as lord. May those who curse you be cursed and those who bless you be blessed. And may peoples and nations honor you.” Then Jacob quickly left.

Esau then came in his father’s tent and said, “Eat the food, father, and bless me.” Isaac was very confused now. “Who are you?” Esau said, “I am Esau, your son.” Isaac said, “Then who gave me food just now? I have blessed him, whoever it was and he shall surely be blessed.” Esau cried, “What are you saying father? Don’t you have a blessing for me, your firstborn?” Isaac replied, “Your brother took your blessing. There is no blessing left for you, my son. But listen, for you shall have the growth of the land and shall have many children. But your brother will rule over you.”

Esau left the tent in anger and hated his brother from that day on. He began to tell people, “As soon as my father dies, I will kill Jacob.” Rebecca heard him and went to Isaac. “Isaac,” she said, “It is time for Jacob to marry. But I don’t want him to marry one of the women around here. Send him to my home to find a girl there.” Isaac agreed and sent Jacob away, repeating to him the blessing of Abraham.
Jacob, out of fear of Esau, left immediately. His first night out, Jacob slept in front of a rock. That night he had a dream of the spirit world and dreamed that angels were walking up and down, to and from heaven at that place. From heaven, Jacob saw a vision of Yahweh in heaven saying, “I am Yahweh, the God of Abraham and Isaac. The land you sleep on shall be your children’s. You shall go from this land, but I will go with you and bless you. And I will bring you back to this land, for I will not leave you until I have given you what I promised.”

Jacob woke up immediately and said, “This place is a powerful place and I didn’t know it.” Jacob set the rock he was sleeping near upright and established it as an altar for Yahweh. Then Jacob made a deal with Yahweh, “Yahweh, if you keep me safe and bless me during my journey and bring me back safely, then I will make you my God and I will return here and worship you at this place.” So Jacob named this place “Bethel”, or “house of God,” and left on his journey.

No comments: